[IKI-aktivistit] OpenID interest?

Hannu Aronsson haa at iki.fi
Sun Jan 1 18:12:58 EET 2017

Hei,

We have had discussions on OpenID (or something similar) some time ago in the board, but didn't do anything as it did not seem that useful at the time, due to
- not very widely used
  - email+password seems to have taken over even some places which used OpenID
  - many places don't allow any provider
- a bit unclear which of the standards we should use
- the standards seem to be changing, and this should be supported "forever" to avoid losing login access to sites
- no volunteer to set it up at the time
- we could probably repurpose one of the old servers for this service

Technically we planned to do this in the following way:
- users could set a separate iki-id password in the web membership pages, we would store a hashed separate password
- the xxxID system would use iki-address and the iki-id password for authentication.
  - We could replicate the username+hashed password to the xxxID server (for independence from the rest of iki) or
  - the xxxID server could check the member database each time in some suitable way (LDAP/http/something).
- you could then use the iki-id URL, username and password to authenticate to sites

Practical proposal: Let's organise the next "iki hack evening" on this topic at a time so we can all get together and figure it out?

(Voi kommentoida suomeksikin jos haluaa)

Yours,
  Hannu

--
haa at iki.fi http://www.haa.iki.fi